Tuesday, August 24, 2010

47- gotta know when to hold 'em

Well, I took the advice of my two commentors (as well as the advice that my own intuition was already giving me) and didn't run today.  Honestly, I didn't like the fact that I have been feeling like a slave to my training schedule.  Like if I don't stick to it exactly, I'm a 'slacker' or a bad runner.  I didn't like the OCD-ness I was feeling.  Since I began training 8+ weeks ago, my only rest day is when I worked for 12 hours, then drove 4 hours up-north.  And, although I don't think I need alot of rest days and I do like the feeling of a 'running streak' I don't feel like my head has been in a healthy place the last week or so and has caused me to be a complete slave to my milage.  So, today I didn't run.  And, I don't think I will tomorrow either.  That way I will for sure not hit my milage total for the week and will just have to get over it!  I'm alittle less than 7 weeks out from Chicago and I KNOW I've put in the base work.  Now, I just need to fine tune my legs.  But really this 'break' (ie 2 days) has about 10% to do with how I'm feeling physically, and 90% about my mental state right now.  Running is my favorite thing in the world.  I plan to keep it that way for as long as possible. :)

But enough of that ramble...

This was all decided at about 3:30am, when I knew my alarm would be going off at 4:30am for a run.  So, I reset it for the 'late' hour of 6:30.  Nice.  Today was professional development #2.  I actually got really physched to teach today.  I got the new books for my 7th graders and something about getting to work with brand new text books gets the nerd in me all excited!  I'm actually really nervous about teaching middle school.  My only experience last year was teaching girls middle school PE once a week.  I'm totally not good at interacting with little kids and I'm having a hard time getting the planning down (ie they have limited study/notetaking skills to work with.)  Anyway, me and the other science teacher talked and I'm feeling a bit better about stuff.  Plus, I'm much more organized now.  Still alot to do, but I feel like I'm clearing a path and have a direction!

One more day of meetings tomorrow, before it all begins!  Students arrive on Thursday!  Yikes!

Hope everyone has a good night!

1 comment:

  1. girl i totally know how you feel about the whole "i'm going to feel like a bad runner" but you are so NOT a bad runner. you are an AMAZING runner. and i want to run as fast/well as you :)

    i'm glad running is your favorite thing in the world :)

    ReplyDelete