Sunday, January 30, 2011

First "official" week of training = done and done

Ahh yes, the joys of being at my parents' house on a Sunday.  Heat, internet, and cable TV.  Why haven't I been here in 3+ weeks again?

So yes, reliable internet means two things to me: paying bills and blogging.  I'll sum up the week again like last time because it seems that weekly updates are happening more often than daily right now for me....

Monday- pretty much a reserved easy day this time around because of doing LRs on Sundays most weeks.  6 miles in the AM + an easy swim.  PM was my 60+ minute core class at the running shop.  Pushed myself in that area this week, which was a good thing.

Tuesday- bakery morning = one run later.  This week, it was an 8 miler outside in the area around where I teach.  Got to run in shorts, which was nice although the snow hitting my legs was not.  Think it was about 8 minute pace, which was also pretty pleasing as I stink at running well later in the day.  That night was a late (for me!) soccer game.  Since I stink at sprinting, yet am super competitive and crazy, it is actually a pretty good workout.  I always leave dripping in sweat so it can't hurt my training I guess!

Wednesday- LOVE IT.  Did 12 miles on the treadmill early- progressively faster.  Nothing too fast or too amazing, but just the idea of speeding up throughout a run is a novel and difficult thing for me.  This I averaged around 8:10s but I'm not sure because the treadmill shut off and restarted.  Then, swam for about a mile at the gym.  This pool was colder than I was used to as I was at the new gym I joined, rather than the Y.  Cold pool = faster swimming!  The workout fun continued post-teaching with a 30 minute core class, then 60 minute cycling.  Love the intructor.  Love the vibe.  Love the company. ;)  You better believe the 5 hours of sleep I got that night were hard.

Thursday- Much-needed easy day.  Bakery blahs in the morning, so running group at night was my workout.  It was dumping snow and only myself and my friend Mike showed up.  We slogged through 6 miles of feet dragging.  Both of us had dead legs and basically cursed winter the whole time! 

Friday-  Hard day as well.  I was up early-early and on my apartment gym's treadmill before 4am to knock out 7 miles.  7:45 pace or so.  This run felt really good and I was finishing at 8.5 mph wishing I had time to extend the run.  But, I had to get back, change, and head to the Y for my 90 minute cycle class.  This class is totally different than Wednesday nights, but enjoyable.  Post-cycle I finished my milage for the day with 4 easier miles on the treadmill.  Nice way to start the day!

Saturday- UGH.  A total slog through deep snow at 5am.  I knew in my head I should hit up the treadmill to run before bakery at 7am, but I just really didn't want to.  It snowed a decent amount over night and it was sort of freezing-snow-raining at the time.  7 miles of slowness later, I was done.  My garmin was covered in a sheet of ice and my legs were totally shot.  It was rough to go to work on my feet all day, especially with the idea of a LR on the horizon.

Sunday- which brings me to today- an unconventional LR of 20 miles split into 10/10.  The first 10 were done with a friend around her neighborhood.  Miles with a friend = exponentially better than alone miles.  These flew by and were very enjoyable.  After a 30 minute drive home, I literally jumped out of my car at my parents' house and headed out on the second 10.  These were much harder.  My legs felt good, but they are cutting costs in my parents' town by literally not plowing any streets.  So I spent the whole run trying to find pavement only to be drugding through unplowed snow or slipping and sliding over streets the whole time.  Any time I picked up the pace for a few strides, I would be stopped dead by deep snow.  So it was frustrating in the sense that I felt like I had more to give, but conditions were favorable.  I was still really pleased overall with my pace considering the conditions.  I got back to the condo complex where my parents' live (that is plowed) and knocked out the last mile in 7:42 which showed me that despite how tired my legs were, they still had alittle something in them.  Now I just have to be patient with my runs and training and peak correctly.

Recap:
2 swims
2 cycle classes
2 core classes
1 soccer game
70 miles :)

Going forward, I would like to get in another strength/core type class during the week so hopefully I can find a small gap in my schedule somewhere this week that works.  But, my milage will also still be increasing. We are also suppose to get a foot of snow Wednesday (WTF!?!) so we will see how that influences things...

Which brings me to my big announcement:  I've signed up and committed to my MAIN marathon- The Newport Marathon in Newport, Oregon on June 4th!  I'm really pumped- after lots of research, this seems to fit my criteria between timing, course, a new place I have never been, and weather.  I'm running a 'tune up' marathon 4/17 close by, but Newport will be my main focus for the next 18 weeks or so.  Yay!

Off to grocery shop at my favorite market, and rustle up some fro yo for dinner.  Yes, I sometimes use long runs as an excuse to eat fro yo for dinner the night before, and the night of the LR.  Addiction?  You bet.

Have a good week everyone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment