Monday, June 28, 2010

104 - CHICAGO!

104 days until...THE CHICAGO MARATHON! And training began.  Today.

I've actually been signed up for Chicago for a few months and am totally pumped.  Chicago was the sight of my first two marathons (2006 and 2007, 2007 was the 100 degree weather year!)  I took a few years off of Chicago, but I'm really excited to be going back this year.  My sis and bro-in-law live in Chicago (ie free lodging and my fav 'pit crew') so I'm beyond pumped.  Here's the cool part- the marathon is on October 10th, 2010.  Ie: 10/10/10.  I have run 8 marathons thus far.  Therefore, sometime this summer I will be running a 'chill' marathon so that for Chicago, it will be my 10th marathon on 10/10/10.  And it will be amazing.  I am for sure.

So today, with 15 weeks, I began TRAINING.  The last four weeks since Bayshore I have been 'running' as I mentioned.  For me, this meant ~60 miles per week with no workouts, all at about 8 min/pace or so.  For this training cycle, I am closely following my marathon 'bible' Advanced Marathoning.  I have pieced the schedules together in the past, but this time, I'm committing to following the 80-100 mile/week schedule as much as I can.  I have to shuffle a few weeks in the beginning because the schedules are for either 18 or 12 weeks (and I have 15).  So, this week will be 82 miles, with no speedwork to start, just to get my milage up. 

Today was 2 x 6 miles for a total of 12.  I did 6 up north this morning with my mom averaging 8:57 pace.  Then, after the drive back to my parents' house I did a flat and frisky (ha, lol) 6 miles averaging 7:35 pace.  I didn't mean to go that fast, but I've been running hills so much and was cooped up in the car for 5 hours, so I just went.  Felt pretty good.

To finish off this post, I'm going to post things that I am going to change for this training cycle:
- keep easy days EASY - I dont' have to do all of my runs 7:30-7:45 like I feel like I do
- long runs = QUALITY and ending faster than I start
- logging my runs everyday when they are fresh in my mind
- speedwork.  keep doing it.
- MP miles in the middle parts of mid-long runs, get really comfortable with MP

MMk, I think that's it!  I have tons more to say, but it'll have to wait for another day! 

Peace love and running! :)

1 comment:

  1. love the new countdown. i need to sign up for a race so i can have one too haha :)

    i also love what your planning on doing this training cycle. very smart and good things that will totally help you beast chicago (not that you need it or anything!)

    ReplyDelete